The holidays are fast approaching and for many, that means quality time with family and friends. Unfortunately, some of us for one reason or another, don’t have many friends to spend time with. But, what better way to meet new people than by hosting a holiday party? But a plain old holiday party is boring. So let’s spice it up a bit with some non-traditional holiday party ideas!
1. Holiday Baking Get-Together Everyone brings a favorite holiday recipe and spends the day baking together, exchanging recipes at the end. A particularly great way to spend a cold winter’s day. If you need inspiration check out https://www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/g4453/holiday-baking-recipes/ or https://www.mybakingaddiction.com/holiday-recipes/.
2. Holiday Baking Swap Ok, so maybe a group of people baking recipe after recipe in your kitchen isn’t your idea of “fun”. No worries! You can still get a group of people together and have them each bring a favorite holiday treat for sampling and swapping.
3. Holiday Clothing Swap With the holidays come holiday parties, and often times we can’t afford to splurge on a new outfit. But I’m sure most of you have items of clothing you no longer wear and need an excuse to get rid of. A group clothing swap is a great, fun way to rid your closet of items you no longer wear and score some great new duds in the process!
4. Holiday Movie Night There is nothing better than holiday-themed movies to get you in the mood for the season in my opinion! Spend the day or evening watching traditional holiday movies, complete with popcorn! A few of my faves are Home Alone, The Santa Clause trilogy (yes, trilogy), It’s a Wonderful Life, and A Christmas Story. Or go old-school and watch classic holiday cartoons such as The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and A Charlie Brown Christmas!
5. Holiday Game Night There is NOTHING better in my opinion than a good, old fashioned game night to break the ice and meet new people. I’m partial to Scene It?, but any selection of board or card games will do. Winner takes all the cookies!
6. Snowman Building Contest If you’re lucky enough to have snow for the holidays, have a snowman building contest! Warm up afterwards with spiked hot cocoa and marshmallows!
6. Bring a Friend While I highly recommend subscribing to Just Platonic, (if you haven’t already done so, what are you waiting for?!?!?) maybe meeting people online makes you nervous or perhaps you just stumbled across our site looking for holiday party ideas. Well, here’s another great way to meet some new people: host a party – any party – and have each person you invite bring a platonic friend. After all, your next BFF could be your co-worker’s sister’s boyfriend’s cousin’s acquaintance.
Of course, it goes without saying that if you choose to host any of these parties, make sure there is plenty of egg nog, cocoa, and cider (bonus points if any of these are spiked!) and food! Set the atmosphere with some classic Christmas carols and dress for the occasion – there is no better time for your ugliest Christmas sweater!